Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Till the haze clears


While I've been prattling on about trees and music and rain and festivals, about everything and nothing in particular, there's just one wee thing I didn't mention.... In the meantime, I'd also gone ahead and committed the equivalent of professional hara-kiri.

I quit my steady job in Mumbai....

...without an alternative offer in hand.

Grade A looniness eh??? Trust me I've thought about it...and only time's gonna tell whether I'll pat myself on the back for this or take a flying leap off the balcony. Y'see, I've often heard that most of life's problems come from saying yes too soon, or no too late.

So I said no.

No to being lambasted for questioning (politely, that too) the sense in doing an incomprehensible assignment. And then being expected to work my backside off on any and every madcap project dreamt up by anybody and his uncle.

No to being told directly or indirectly that I am an incompetent idiot, when I know I am neither.

No to being expected to put up with insane deadlines, vague guidelines and virtually nonexistent role definition.

No to being pushed to a stage where I know I'm not giving more than 20% of what I'm capable of to my job....and where I just don't see any point in giving the other 80%.

In short, thank you very much, but I've had enough of suffering fools gladly.

Yes, it's true.... people leave their bosses, not the job. And mebbe someday I'll be immensely grateful to those who...errr.... made this possible ????

So Zahra's finished serving out a notice period, and is back in Chennai-land to ponder and plot her next moves. Frankly, the path ahead is kinda hazy right now...and I might just make some very drastic turns along the way..with fingers, toes and eyes crossed, and praying really hard for the best. :-)

For now, the Mumbai chapter stands closed...more of an experience than a city, if you ask me, but one I'll always be grateful for.

So long, Mumbai......and thanks for all the pav.

:-)

Pic courtesy Flickr.com

6 comments:

Mr Chamko said...

oh dont worry! generally ppl are very wary of taking such a giant step...but things will be alright.

you should have taken a pic of your boss when you told him, this is it...i am quitting! ;-)

btw...whats wrong with pav? ;-)

mathew said...

i think if you had to take such a decision ..you must have had a really valid reason for that..though it might be those times when u start thinking whether your decision was right or wrong..i wish that you have conviction in yourself to get into a new phase..professionally and personally..good luck buddy!!:)

Indian Madder said...

@Mr Chamko

Hi there:), and thanks for the faith!! Had tried for a pic of the boss, but he wouldn't stop dancing long enough for me to click one ;-D

Oh there's nothing wrong with pav....as with people, it is what lies within that makes all the difference :)

@Matthew

Thanks a ton pal.... I see stormy seas ahead but hope to come through intact! :)

Anonymous said...

Well, this is the time Zhara can hold up her paint brush to the sky and yell - "I am the power"!!

Try it, hope stuffs become more colourfull ahead!!

I'm planning to stay put, in 'pav'-land. God! Bless these guys with some cooking skills!!!

Shastry said...

beautiful post, and beautiful line...

"Y'see, I've often heard that most of life's problems come from saying yes too soon, or no too late"

though the reverse is also true....."from saying no too soon, or yes too late"..seems like we are creatures built for heartache either ways..

beautiful post, and bold decision...as strong as filter coffee....i wish you all the best for the aftertaste...

Indian Madder said...

Sorry for the late reply....

@Anonymous

Thanks buddy :)... though these days I do more of holding my kaapi cup high above my head and yelling "I have the kaapi!!" :)

@Shastry

Thank you :)...I hope so too.