Thursday, September 24, 2009

And the wheel turns again

There are some things and events that gently and unmistakably point out the passage of time. And remind us of how life comes full circle in different ways every day.

Like the gulmohar tree I see from my living room. Splashes of fiery reds that intensify in sync with the blazing summer. A moist, green mass in the monsoon….so rich and verdant that the slender branches seem to bow under their burden.

Like the roly-poly little fella in the next building who emerges one fine summer morning in a spanking new uniform and polished shoes. Hair neatly combed to frame a sullen little face. Understandable, since he had all the time in the world to play and laze around till yesterday. But summers come and go, little kids soon become not-so-little kids…… and I smile a half-smile at nobody in particular when I recall that this is the third time I’ve seen his back-to-school ritual.

Like sitting down to update my blog, and then realizing that’s it’s been a good three months since I wrote last. And grudgingly acknowledging that Philip and many others had a valid point about the huge intervals between my posts. ;-P

Like the arrival of a Ganesha in our neighbourhood, with eyes as gentle as his girth is massive. Who is welcomed with shouting, singing and chanting that starts at one in the a.m. and goes on for all of next day. Which is a prelude to a ten day frenzy of colour, prayers and ardent believers. Not to forget traffic jams.

Like hearing the clack-clack of dandiyas in the neighbourhood, and realizing that we’re well into the festive season already. So let’s gear up for another round of festivities, praying for a peaceful and happy one at that.

Season’s greetings to y’all!!

P.S – That was a blanket wish, folks… so excuse me till Pongal of 2010!!!

>:-D

Listening to: ‘Piya tora’ from Raincoat……ahhhh, Hariharan’s voice!!! :-)

3 comments:

mathew said...

hehe..and in between there is christmas!!:)

Philip said...

Time to join in the festivities and remember how we celebrated onam and diwali as kids 20 years back :p Damn, festival season makes me feel so old!

Indian Madder said...

@Matthew

Oh yes there is...and that's the one I look forward to!! :)

@Philip

You're alive!!! ;-P Err...I mean....welcome back!

Yeah, every passing year makes me feel more antiquated.... sad part is, I haven't celebrated a single Onam in Kerala :(